Friday, June 27, 2008

WKRP Episode: "I Am Woman"

I'm having some trouble uploading earlier episodes (I suspect that Fox may be figuring out how to block episodes from being uploaded in any form, even under different titles), but while I try to work that out, here's one I already uploaded: from the third season, an episode where Bailey tries to save the Flimm Building, where the station is housed, from being torn down, only to find that Mr. Carlson withdraws his support when he gets permission to move the station into its own building.

I've always liked this episode, and not just for Herb's discussion of Fantasia. One thing I like about it is that it takes a very standard story (saving a building from being demolished) with a pre-determined ending (of course they're not going to have to move) and makes it interesting by, among other things, focusing more on character relationships -- Bailey and Mr. Carlson, specifically -- than on plot. The episode doesn't even end with the building being saved; it just assumes that we know it will happen.

This was an episode The Comedy Network only had in the 22-minute syndication version, so I had to get missing scenes and music (including a snippet of "What'd I Say" by Ray Charles, a perpetual Johnny Fever favorite) from a lower-quality tape. But the whole episode is here, music and all. I can't identify all the music but the song played by the piano in the bar is "Lady Be Good" by George Gershwin.









3 comments:

Todd Mason said...

It might be more the case that DailyMotion knows to take down anything Fox has up on Hulu and elsewhere.

Todd Mason said...

And thanks for your continued efforts!

Anonymous said...

FYI, an episode of the "New WKRP" has been posted on Usenet (the one where Venus returns to the station as an egomaniac).