Thursday, July 15, 2004

Who? What? Where? When? How?

James Lileks, in the process of generously giving my hit-rate a boost, reminds me that I haven't really explained who I am or why I'm doing this. That's been number two on my list of "things I've been meaning to do but haven't," along with adding more links (which I really will do soon). Anyway, to make this at least mildly interesting, I'll make it multiple-choice. I am one of the following:

a) I am a substitute teacher of Espanol at Tom Landry Middle School. I started this blog because those cretins at the local paper would no longer run my musings. Apparently they think my thoughts on crocheting were too incendiary.

b) I am a former English major, former law student, and former writer of occasional entertainment articles for the beloved cheapskates at Salon.com. Overeducated, underemployed and with access to a computer: that describes a lot of us bloggers, just as a few years ago it described a lot of us usenet posters. I started this blog because everybody and his sister had a blog, and there were a few things I wanted to write about. That's really the only reason to start a blog at the moment, though eventually there will be ghostwritten blogs to promote every new movie and book, and those fake blogs that purport to be by movie stars will suddenly become "official." You have been warned.

c) I am Leo Strauss, the late University of Chicago professor. I started this posthumous blog to try and explain my ideas and why nobody who writes about me understands what I wrote, but then I realized that even I don't understand what I wrote, so I wrote about entertainment and arts instead.

d) I am a genetically altered lab mouse attempting to take over the world. I started this blog to get back at that awful show Family Guy for ripping me off.

The correct answer is probably b. d will get you partial credit. And I really don't understand a word Leo Strauss ever wrote.

No comments: